British Pathe is one of the oldest media companies in the world. Their roots lie in 1890s Paris where their founder, Charles Pathe, pioneered the development of the moving image. They were established in London in 1902, and by 1910 were producing their famous bi-weekly newsreel the Pathe Gazette. By the time Pathe finally stopped producing the cinema newsreel in 1970 they had accumulated 3500 hours of filmed history amounting to over 90,000 individual items.
The library of resources is available online for anyone to access via the free “preview” facilities on this site. There are fasciniating glimpses of life in the 20th century. I like looking at the “visions of the future” from the 60’s….
GLASS CITY OF THE FUTURE
Your browser does not support iframes.
Obvious uses are in History, but also Science, Citizenship, English, Art and Design, Technology teachers could find clips they could use.
If you are an Educational User you can:
- Download clips for free for use within the classroom by teachers and pupils.
- Publish BP footage on secure learning platforms.
- Group clips together in Learnspaces and tag as relates to the curriculum.
- Search pre-prepared Curriculum Learnspaces.
- Get an ad-free version of the site
There is information on the site to check if your school is already registered. If not, you can register via the site.